Lemon pancakes!

These babies were AWESOME. I’m not sure if I want any other style of pancake as long as I live. So fresh and so clean, lol. Amazing lemon pancakes, everyone loved them! I seriously can’t wait until the weekend to make them again. Do yourself a favor and make these soon.

Cool song by a band called Meadownoise.

Lemon Pancakes

Recipe from “The Joy of Cooking.”

1 c. all-purpose white wheat flour
1/3 c. sugar (I used 2/3 c. organic powdered sugar, will try brown next time)
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. sea salt
3/4 c. sour cream (sub yogurt for less fat)
1/3 c. milk
zest of two lemons
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
3 T. butter, melted
1 egg
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl mix together the rest of the ingredients. Pour wet mixture into dry and stir quickly. The batter will be thick and bubbly. Use 1/4 c. batter for each pancake and pour onto hot skillet. You know what to do. Cook until golden brown then flip! Serve with honey or maple syrup (my favorite).

This entry was posted in American, breakfast, vegetarian and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Grace
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Just wanted to say – I made these this morning, and they were AMAZING! Probably the best pancakes I’ve ever had. Thanks so much for the recipe!

2. Posted March 30, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Grace – You’re now in the club. Wait, there is no club. We should start a club!

3. Billy
    Posted April 2, 2012 at 8:30 am | Permalink

I made these for my lover this morning and she loved them! I altered the cakes a bit and sprinkled in some crispy, streaky bacon and that added a lot of flavor. I nearly fell to the floor because the taste was so devine. Salty too which was a blessing. Thanks for recipe and memories.

4. Posted April 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Billy – I don’t know how to reply to that, well I do but I won’t. I’m glad you like them, they’re great huh?!?

5. Linda Winkler
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Looks like a tasty recipe but too high in fat for me. Nearly a cup of sour cream to 1 cup of flour? No wonder they taste great.

6. Posted July 6, 2012 at 3:55 am | Permalink

Linda – That they are and I don’t use that wimpy light sour cream either. I wouldn’t recommend eating them every morning but we should all allow ourselves to indulge now and then, right? It’s about as much fat as eating a snickers or a half cup of almonds. I thought the same thing when I saw 3/4 cup sour cream but let me assure it worked out perfectly.

7. Margaret
    Posted July 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I was looking for a lemon pancake recipe, and came across your blog. Made these pancakes, and they really..truly..absolutely are the best darn pancakes I have ever had. It was almost like eating a slice of lemon meringue pie. I was in heaven with every bite! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I will definitely make these many more times..in the near future!

8. Posted July 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Margaret – That’s so awesome! I can’t go back to regular old pancakes myself.

9. Ticia
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 4:17 am | Permalink

I don’t have sour cream or wheat flour….so I’m gonna try and take my chances without sour cream and use regular old flour!

10. Tiffany
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 4:48 am | Permalink

These were freaking amazing….my family went nuts. lol. Thanks so much! :)

11. Posted July 26, 2012 at 6:34 am | Permalink

Tiffany – So glad your family went nuts, lol. This in my opinion is one of the best recipes on this site. Simple but delish!

12. Posted July 26, 2012 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Ticia – Regular old flour is perfect but eliminating the sour cream without replacing it with something will probably not work out, at all. :)

13. Katrina
    Posted October 27, 2012 at 4:32 am | Permalink

I can’t wait to try these! I was reading all the reviews and I saw some people where worried about the sour cream. You can use plain Greek yogurt too. Not nearly as much fat and a ton of protein. Thanks for sharing this with us!

14. ashley
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 3:52 am | Permalink

Just made these and they were great! It was on a whim so I didn’t have any sour cream…I used vanilla yogurt and they still turned out great!! Topped with honey and fresh berries and a little powder sugar. Definitely a keeper:)

15. Amy
    Posted November 17, 2012 at 6:29 am | Permalink

I used fat free Greek yogurt instead of sour cream because that is what I had and they turned out great.

16. Andrea
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 9:28 am | Permalink

My husband said these were the best pancakes he ever had. He loves anything lemon. I used whole wheat flour and I did’t have any sour cream, so I used plain Greek yogurt(zero fat). Tasted awesome for people complaining the sour cream made this recipe too fattening :)

17. Posted January 5, 2013 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Andrea – I’ve only tried them with sour cream, maybe next time I’ll try yogurt if I actually have it around. I think it’s hard to go wrong with these pancakes.

18. Posted January 5, 2013 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Amy – It sounds like a couple of you have subbed yogurt for the sour cream with good results. Must try.

19. Posted January 5, 2013 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Ashley – I’m glad you liked them. Again, yogurt for the win!

20. Posted January 5, 2013 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Katrina – Thanks for the info. I have officially added yogurt as an option in the list of ingredients.

21. Cyn
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 9:01 am | Permalink

OMG the best! I was craving the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes w/ Blueberry compote from Tavern so went on a search for a recipe given I have limited ingredients in the fridge. These hit it on the nose! I used yogurt instead of the sour cream (1/2C Greek Yogurt & 1/4C Lemon Yogurt) and bottled “fresh” lemon juice since I didn’t have any lemons on hand. Absolutely delicious!! Everyone LOVED them. Thank you for posting.

22. Cynthia
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Hi, what Joy of Cooking did you get this from, if it was the newest one maybe they added it to it, because I looked it up in mine and I don’t have it…?

23. Tom
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Outstanding pancakes! I make pancakes every weekend and was looking for a change up, this was perfect. Made a hit with both my 2 yr old son, my wife (she flipped) and the neighbors kids. I did them with lowfat yogurt instead of the sour cream as suggested.
    In an effort to add some more whole grains I made them with:
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup oat flour and 1/4 cup buckwheat flour.
    They came out extremely light and fluffy, the batter is nice and airy and the pancakes came out perfectly. The only thing I might cut back on a little bit is the sugar if you are going to use maple syrup with them since they are sweet enough to not need any syrup.

24. Posted January 30, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Tom – That’s awesome. I seem to alter these a little every time depending on what ingredients I have around.

25. Posted January 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Cynthia – 75th anniversary page 646. lol. It does say 500 new recipes on the cover.

26. Posted January 30, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Cyn – Im glad these worked out for you. These have become our go to pancake around here. I’m going to HAVE to try the yogurt version you all keep talking about. I just never have it on hand for some reason.