Peanut butter cookies.

Ahhhh the classic peanut butter cookie, second only to the chocolate chip. As the recipe says these are rich and crumbly. I made these for J to take to her ladies Bible study group and I hear they were a hit. So good with an ice cold glass of milk, obviously.

Peanut Butter Cookies

Recipe from the book The Joy of Cooking.

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/3 c. (5 1/2 T.) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 c. peanut butter
1/2 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Whisk together flour and baking soda. In another bowl mix together butter and sugar. Next beat in the egg and peanut butter and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture until blended well. Shape into one inch balls and arrange about two inches apart on cookie sheet. Press with a fork twice to get that classic peanut butter cookie pattern. Cook for about 10 to 20 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.

This entry was posted in American, dessert, vegetarian and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted May 18, 2012 at 4:51 am | Permalink

I’m pretty sure I made these before! Most of my first cooking experiences came from my mom’s old Joy of Cooking.

2. Posted May 18, 2012 at 5:33 am | Permalink

Christina – I’m sure you have! They were great, a classic. Since they are crumbly they are best (like all cookies really) right out of the oven.

3. Leesa
    Posted December 21, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Still the best peanut butter cookies! I also add semisweet chocolate chunks when I’m feeling especially decadent!

4. Posted January 5, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Leesa – I’m so doing that. I like to add chocolate chip/chunks to almost every cookie and peanut butter cookies it actually makes a ton of sense.

5. trav45
    Posted March 5, 2013 at 1:00 am | Permalink

Add peanut butter chips, and roll in a salt/sugar combo before flattening with the fork. Mmmmmm!

6. Posted March 20, 2013 at 6:13 am | Permalink

trav45 – That sounds great. I like the salt and peanut butter chips would give it that ooey gooey awesomeness.

7. Gayle
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

These are the best peanut butter cookies ever! I have been making these for the last 30 years. My kids favorite way to have them is when I dip half the cookie in chocolate. They say its like having a Reese’s Peanut Butter cookie! Thanks for sharing!