No crust quiche.

I love basic recipes/formulas that have a million possibilities and this no crust quiche is one of them. The no crust part makes it a low calorie yet high protein breakfast (whole pie: 830 cal. 55 g. protein). Since there are three of us I divided it into six portions so we could have it again for breakfast tomorrow. Cutting it into sixths, each serving is almost 10 whopping grams protein and only about 140 calories. Come on man, that’s just awesome! J and Z both loved how these turned out, J actually said it was cooked perfectly. We easily could have eaten the whole thing, and still would have been under 300 calories with 20 grams of protein each, sorry but I love doing the math on this one because it always comes out a win.

It’s a no crust quiche but a nice baked crusty edge does present itself.

What I love about this recipe is that you can basically sub out any veggies/cheeses/meats/milks you want so the combinations are endless. Ours was sort of a Mediterranean style with the feta and all though some black olives, fresh basil and tomatoes would have been nice too. You could go a little more Mexico with it and use chorizo, pepper jack and black/pinto beans. Again, endless. This is now and forever on our morning menu.

I’m seriously surprised we didn’t just finish the whole thing right then.

No Crust Quiche

From the book Simple Food for Busy Families. The whole life nutrition approach. by Jeannette Bessinger and Tracee Yablon-Brenner. A wonderful guide to whole food understanding chock full of great information in an easy to digest way.

5 free range organic eggs
1/3 to 2/3 c. unsweetened milk (cow, rice, almond, soy, etc.) (I used 2/3 c. cow)
fresh herbs and spices (I used a handful of dill)
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1 c. vegetables, chopped (I used red bell peppers)
1/4 to 1/2 c. meat or cheese (optional) (I used 1/2 c. feta *4 oz.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil or butter a pie pan then chop veggies and meats into small pieces. Mix the eggs, milk and herbs and spices. Add the chopped veggies/meat/cheese to the bottom of the pan then gently pour the egg mixture over top. Sprinkle top with extra herbs and spices if you wish. Cook for 30 to 50 minutes/until set and lightly browned on top. If you notice the top browning to early cover with some foil.

This entry was posted in American, Asian, breakfast, Chinese, European, French, greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese, Lao, low calorie, Mediterranean, mexican, Thai, vegetarian, Whole foods and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 23, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Yum. I’ve gotta try this one!

2. Posted March 24, 2011 at 5:18 am | Permalink

Christie – You really do. Soooooooooooooo good.

3. Amy Ling
    Posted October 17, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

sounds good. will have to try that out.

4. Posted October 17, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Amy – It’s so good, easy to make and healthy. I make it all the time.

5. Fred
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Awesome – I’m cooking for someone on a low carb diet, and this is just great! Tasty – and you don’t feel like you’re missing out on anything!

6. Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Fred – It’s like, did we ever really need the carby crust?

7. Lesley
    Posted February 21, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink

PERFECT! I was hoping I could do a crust free quiche, looked it up & BAM I found your recipe listing. I think I may be overly excited to try this out considering all of the ingredient possibilities. (Although I am a bit limited considering I have THREE finicky eaters…One of them being my husband LOL) Anyhow, I look forward to trying this. Possibly tonight. >I don’t have unsweetened milk though so hope what I can have will work out.

Y U M

8. Posted March 6, 2012 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Lesley – You’ll love it guaranteed. Even the most finicky of eaters approve.

9. Michelle
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Great idea for Passover since pastries are out. YUM!

10. Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Michelle – Passover!!!! And this is soooo YUM.

11. Amy
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 9:00 am | Permalink

How did you reheat, in the oven? For how long/temp?
    Thanks! We are looking forward to trying it.

12. Posted July 26, 2012 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Amy – Never reheated, we actually ended up eating it all, my bad. I would say eat it cold or just heat it in the over at 325 degrees until it’s warm or if your in a hurry micro, although I try my best to only use my microwave as a breadbox. :)

13. Julian
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 3:45 am | Permalink

Hey! Recipe sounds good, eager to try it out. How big of a pie pan did you use?

14. Posted August 7, 2012 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Julian – not sure the exact size, standard glass pie pan/dish. 8/9 inches?

15. Michelle M
    Posted September 5, 2012 at 3:18 am | Permalink

In the oven now. I used chorizo, Mexican cheese mix, and arugula.

16. Posted September 5, 2012 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Michelle – Awesomeness. That sound like a great combo. I may have to try it!

17. Michelle M
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 3:30 am | Permalink

It was pure awesomeness that my husband loved! I’m making it again now, chorizo, Mexican cheese mix and arugula.

18. Eric
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I’m trying it out tonight for gluten free, vegetarian friends.

19. Posted January 5, 2013 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Eric – I hope it worked out. It’s so simple and tasty I’m confident they enjoyed it.

20. m m
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Great recipe, thanks – it’ll be delicious.
    One small but amusing correction… the expression is “chock full”, not “chalk full”.

21. Posted January 30, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

m m – doh! Thanks for the correction, lol. (fixing now)

22. Posted February 2, 2013 at 4:15 am | Permalink

Just made this for breakfast , turned out absolutely perfecr and fabulous!!! Added spinach, onions , mushrooms, ham . My six year old and year old even loved it !! Very simple and filling!!

23. Patricia
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 7:06 am | Permalink

This sounds so good. Going to make it with veal sausage. Should I cook the sausage before adding it to the eggs

24. Ritz
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

This is awesome. I make them as muffins instead and freeze them then I just take some along with me. Great grab and go breakfast!

25. Posted March 20, 2013 at 6:07 am | Permalink

Tiffany – Awesome! I love it when the kids love it!

26. Posted March 20, 2013 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Patricia – I’m not 100% sure so I’d go with cooking it first. It shouldn’t dry out much being in all that liquid but again I’m not familiar with veal at all, sorry.

27. Posted March 20, 2013 at 6:10 am | Permalink

Ritz – Now that’s and AWESOME idea!

One Trackback

1. By Crustless Quiche | Jen's Blog on December 8, 2012 at 6:32 pm

[...] The following is copied from the following site: http://disgustinglygood.com/2011/02/20/no-crust-quiche/ [...]