Whole wheat pita bread.

I’ve attempted pita bread once or twice before but this time it came out wonderful and well deserving of write up (100th post!). They weren’t perfect in shape (there were no flawless circles here) but in taste, consistency and wrapability they were pretty much spot on. Even the couple I forgot to take out in a timely manor tasted good. I think J complemented these pitas like five times while she was eating them. Now I usually half recipes because there are only two adults and a nibbling five year here but this time I thought if I was going to go to all the trouble I would make the full batch and save some for sandwiches over the next day or two. Yeah, they didn’t last the rest of the day. Between J and Z these soft breads didn’t have a chance. I seriously can’t wait to warm up the house with the smell of fresh pita bread again.

I made hummus to go with this originally but later in the day I just filled ‘em up with basic sandwich ingredients including some of that awesome tofu mayonnaise, folded ‘em up and chowed down.

Look at the bend and fold of this pita people! There is a wonderful elasticity here. With no signs of breaking I could have wrapped this sandwich burrito style if I wanted to. These would make nice little pizza’s too I would imagine.

Whole Wheat Pita Bread

This recipe is half of the recipe from The Joy of Cooking cookbook.

2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 T. sucanat sugar, I use the Rapunzel brand rapadura sugar, I think it’s slightly less refined. Both can be found at Whole Foods Market. Or regular white granulated sugar.
1 1/2 t. sea salt
2 pkg. (1 1/2 T.) active dry yeast
2 T. unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 c. spring water, room temp.

Mix flours, sugar, salt and yeast. Add butter and water and mix by hand or on low speed for one minute then knead for 10 minutes, adding flour or water as needed. Dough should be tacky but not sticky. Place dough in a greased bowl and turn to completely coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Heat baking/pizza stone in oven at 450 degrees for at least 30 minutes. If you don’t have a stone then just heat up your cooking sheet for 5 minutes before baking.

Punch dough down and divide into eight balls. Cover with plastic wrap again and let rise for an additional 20 minutes. Then roll out each ball into an eight inch circle (or square or triangle or whatever you wish) on a surface very lightly coated with flour. Bake as many as you can fit on your stone/sheet until they puff up like a balloons plus an additional 20 seconds. Remove with tongs to a cooling rack. Continue cooking the rest of the pitas.

This entry was posted in bread, Mediterranean, vegetarian, Whole foods and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted November 23, 2010 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Great minds think alike — I just took the antique Middle Eastern cookbook off the shelf for making pita bread tomorrow! I used that recipe once before and it was okay, probably not meant for substitution with some whole wheat flour. Now that I see your recipe, and how wonderfully soft and pliable your pitas look, I’ll be printing this and trying my hand. Thanks!

Cheers and Happy 100th,

*Heather*

2. Posted November 23, 2010 at 10:11 am | Permalink

One more thing: Are these more of the traditional flatbread-like pita, or are you able to cut it in half and open the ‘pocket’?

Thanks again.

3. Posted November 23, 2010 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Heather – We do have great minds! To answer your question they do have a pocket but as far as it being very useful for anything that’s another story. The pocket can be opened but mine was like a thick side and a thin side, the thin side being very easily torn. Now, I’ve always ordered my falafel/pita sandwich folded as opposed to the pocket so these are perfect for me. They also didn’t call for whole wheat flour but I added it and it worked out fine. I kneaded mine by hand, not sure if that makes a difference compared to a mixer. I even used the whole wheat flour when I was adding a little here and there while kneading to make it not so sticky at first. Hope this helps!

4. Posted November 23, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Helps a TON, thanks! I’m with you on the folded pita, so this is just what I’m looking for.

*Heather*

5. kate
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 6:28 am | Permalink

hey ryan, just had to say congratulations on the 100th post. i love your blog and look at it all the time. good recipes, photography and your humor comes through in your writing. i’m sorry i haven’t commented before, but wanted to say congrats:) xo to the girls.

6. Posted December 1, 2010 at 7:16 am | Permalink

Kate – Thanks woman! It’s a fun thing to do and it’s equally for friends and family who genuinely know us to tap into what we are up to. Thanks again Kate and I just hope it doesn’t ever end up like our flickr account that has fallen to the wayside so many times :) Give our love to Sean and Ben and we hope to get out to SF sometime soon. You guys should come down here if you ever want to get away, we have plenty of space and would love to see some rocking leg guitar. Hope your new home is settling nicely. We love and miss you guys.