Watermelon salad.

J found this bowl at the Salvation Army for cheap!

Watermelon salad is freaking awesome. I’ve already been to the store and back to get more watermelon just because. So you know how you put salt on watermelon anyway? Well this is just like that on crack. Feta cheese, fresh parsley, walnuts, a simple lemon vinaigrette and salt and pepper. So it’s a wee more than just salt but it is pure awesome. It just works. Sweet and salty is one of the best combos. This is one of the freshest tasting salads I’ve ever had. J and I were very happy with how it turned out. Z on the other hand hated it. Spit it out and everything. I guess five year old’s don’t care to much for fresh parsley.

Sunset Magazines, $.29 at Savers. Get ya some.

I found this recipe in an old Sunset Magazine I picked up at Savers. I’m not sure if all Savers have a good amount of Sunset Magazines or if it’s just the one we go to but I can pick up stacks of these for like $.29 a pop. That’s a crap load off the cover price. One of the best purchases from the thrift store that I look forward to.

This salad came about from an extra watermelon we had from making these fruit kabobs for when Z was star student where she gets to bring treats to her kindergarten classmates and teachers. I heard they were a huge hit.

Watermelon Salad

Remember to try to use organic whenever possible. Recipe found in Sunset Magazine, July issue 2008.

chunks of watermelon
simple vinaigrette (1 part fresh lemon squeezed lemon juice to 2 parts peanut or canola oil and sea salt to taste)
walnut or pine nuts, whatever you got really
fresh chopped parsley
fresh cracked black pepper
feta cheese, crumbled

In a bowl mix the watermelon, simple vinaigrette, nuts, fresh chopped parsley and lots of fresh cracked black pepper. Finally add the crumbled feta and gently mix a couple more stirs to serve. Adding the feta in with everything at first causes the feta and oil to mix into a white saucy liquid that tastes fine but just doesn’t look as awesome.

This recipe is just one of those you eyeball really. I used about a medium sized bowl worth of watermelon chunks with a handful of feta. Half a handful of nuts and the vinaigrette was about two tablespoons worth. The parsley was about two tablespoons maybe. Eyeball it, wing it, go for it.

This entry was posted in raw, salad, Thrifting, vegetarian, Whole foods and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Sunshells
    Posted September 19, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink

This sounds awsome and I am going to try it but I noticed a couple of things. First: no amounts given except for the oil altho I am sure this can be figured out by trial and error pretty easily. Second: preparation does not say where to add second amount of lemon juice (or is this an error) nor does it say when to add watermelon.

2. Posted September 19, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Sunshells – Doh! apologies for the amounts thing, yeah you just kinda wing it. I added basically what I used into the preparation part of the recipe to give a general idea now. I edited the recipe and hopefully didn’t just make it more confusing. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. It’s amazing how I can take something so simple and actually make it complicated.

3. Posted September 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

I love watermelon, and recently saw another blogger shared a different type of salad with watermelon and I was hooked and bought 2 large watermelons, so now I have a enough for 5 day salads. :-)

I also eye ball lot of things while cooking so will see how this one will turn out. I love sunset magazines for recipes and travel ideas.

4. Posted September 20, 2010 at 6:48 am | Permalink

I love that little bowl and the rustic look of your photo. Very simple, yet pretty.

5. Posted September 20, 2010 at 7:00 am | Permalink

Pam – I’m so addicted to Sunset Magazine it’s ridiculous. I was lying in bed last night thinking I need to pony up the cash to get a subscription just to support such a great source of inspiration and knowledge. The gardening and DIY spirit they have along with recipes and travel and tips on being green. The list goes on but I’m know I’m preaching to the choir here. After reading an issue last night I’m now going out to pick up some rope for a clothes line and going to switch to using a 1 to 1 mixture of white vinegar and water for glass cleaner.

I’m glad you’re an eyeballer. I do it a lot even when I have an exact recipe. This one will come out fine for you I promise, it’s actually hard to mess up really.

6. Posted September 20, 2010 at 7:08 am | Permalink

Nicole – Thanks! We’re addicted to thrifting around here. We don’t really like dish sets as much as a mix/mismatch of dishes and bowls and utensils (that goes for almost anything, chairs etc.). Sometimes we get carried away but it’s always a fun hunt. The thrift and antique stores are a great Saturday outing and picking up items for a future foodie photo shoots is super cheap. Thanks for noticing the “rustic” look because that’s exactly where I’m trying to go with my photos lately.

7. Posted October 12, 2010 at 3:56 am | Permalink

this looks amazing! I cant wait for summer to make this!

8. Posted October 12, 2010 at 4:40 am | Permalink

Claire – They were great, do try! I love your blog by the way. Lots and lots of great pictures.

9. Posted October 19, 2010 at 8:32 am | Permalink

What a cute picture!!!! I like how you experiment with textures in your photos: the wooden table against the simplicity of the salad is sublime! I took a couple of pictures of a similar recipe (Chile-Roasted Feta and Watermelon Slab http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/10/chile-roasted-feta-and-watermelon-slab/) but my pictures aren’t as fun as yours…. Any pointers?

10. Posted October 19, 2010 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Cucce Sprouts – Seriously? your pics are amazing, I think you should be giving me pointers. I scrolled down the first page of your blog and was loving it. So many bright and colorful pics, I’ll be coming back for some great photos and recipes. Love your free range organic (mostly vegetarian but some meats) approach. If your not using grass fed products you should definitely seek it out. Thanks for your kind words.