Homemade buttermilk ranch dressing.

Never been a huge fan of ranch dressing, not even when it became super popular in the late 80’s. Not even cool ranch chips, I know, what a loser. I’ve always been more of a blue cheese man myself. J on the other hand has always been a ranch critic. Ever since I first met her she would comment on the ranch of a place, Their ranch is not very good she’d say. She would even return to a place with average food just because they “had great ranch”. I’m guessing that’s why ranch was invented. Foods not good? Dip it in some ranch! Don’t like vegetables? Dip em in some ranch! This was some time ago because I haven’t seen her order ranch with her salad in years, she’s all honey mustard now days, but I’ll never forget how she used to be. This homemade ranch didn’t really get a reaction out of her, or at least no commentary. She did eat the whole salad so I guess that could be a critique in itself. I loved it on the other hand and want to dip everything in it, black olives, tomatoes, avocados, you name it. It could just be my amazement at how easy it is to make this beloved dressing from scratch with ingredients a lot of us have around the house already.

This quick salad was awesome people. Organic everything, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, avocados, cucumbers, oh baby! Crunch crunch!

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

Recipe found at No Face Plate. Makes enough for dipping veggies or several salads (2 c.).

1 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion salt
1/2 t. dill, or more
pinch of sea salt
fresh ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix well with a fork. Put in a container and refrigerate overnight. I ate some right away and it was great.

This entry was posted in Food, vegetarian, Whole foods and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted July 27, 2010 at 5:49 am | Permalink

So much better and tastier when it’s homemade. Plus, no high fructose corn syrup like the mass-produced, off-the-shelf ones.

2. Posted July 27, 2010 at 6:00 am | Permalink

Carolyn – You said it sister! Tastes so much better, as do all things homemade, minus all the bad crap they slip into the store bought shelf items, another great point. I’m glad you posted a comment because I’m really enjoying your blog now. I think my mouth is actually watering. Thanks!

3. Posted July 28, 2010 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hmm, I’ve never made homemade ranch dressing before but this sounds very easy to make. Can’t wait to give it a try.

4. Posted July 28, 2010 at 7:03 am | Permalink

Amanda – Do try, you’ll love it, guaranteed. I couldn’t wait to make it either since it was so simple. I went to grab the buttermilk out of the fridge and it was questionable. I couldn’t wait till I had to hit the store again so I could pick up some fresh buttermilk. Now I’m wanting to make my own mayo too, getting even more homemade up in here.

5. Ingrid
    Posted July 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

This seems easy to make! I’ll give it a go! :)

6. Posted July 30, 2010 at 5:16 am | Permalink

Ingrid – So stinking easy you’d be a fool not too. Almost as easy as grabbing it off the shelf. You’ll love it.

7. Alfreda Levin
    Posted August 16, 2010 at 11:57 am | Permalink

You are right! When I looked at the ingredients and checked my fridge, I think I can make one right away!

8. Posted August 17, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Alfreda – Simple Simon, do it!

9. Christy
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Just tried this because I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand. I used fresh dill in ours. It hasn’t set overnight but I did a taste-test right after I mixed it up and WOW. My husband is going to fall in love with me all over again. Ha! So easy to make and without all the nasty extras. Delicious. Thanks so much.

10. Posted November 1, 2010 at 7:10 am | Permalink

Christy – Apologies it took so long for me to respond. I’m glad you like it, WOW was my first impression too, so much better fresh huh? Speaking of, fresh dill would be my choice too but I just didn’t have any on hand. I was kinda like you, I just made it cause I had the ingredients and could. Overnight might be better but it’s great right then if you ask me. I have a hard time with the whole waiting thing.

11. Posted November 17, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Wow, I’m waaay late to the party, but thanks for the link! Yours looks as delicious as mine :)

12. Posted November 19, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

NoFacePlate – Big thanks to you for this recipe. I’ve used it countless times and it always comes out great. It puts the store bought junk to shame. Thanks again!

13. Karen
    Posted June 25, 2011 at 10:50 am | Permalink

I had all the ingredients except the dill so I substituted with cilantro…it was absolutely fabulous! Thanks for this recipe…it is my buttermilk ranch dressing from now on!

14. Posted June 27, 2011 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Karen – Glad you like it!

15. Tia
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 3:18 am | Permalink

Sounds awesome! How long will it stay fresh in the fridge after making it?

16. Posted January 5, 2013 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Tia – I’d say a couple days to a week. I get paranoid about this kind of thing so I personally use it up over the next couple days. It’s hard to keep around anyway. It’s good for dipping veggies too.