Creamed corn.

Everyone loves creamed corn, right? I’ve always for my whole life had creamed corn out of a can. I thought that was just the way it came. Of course I’m thinking back to when I was a kid but even to this day I’ve never made it or had anyone make it for me. As a matter of fact it’s pretty damn easy to make yourself. Not as easy as opening a can and heating it up but close. Again, making these things yourself lets you use more organic ingredients. It’s fresher and always, always, always tastes better. No added sugars or preservatives. Actually there was no salt or sugar in this recipe at all. If you have a bag of corn in your freezer and a little heavy cream you should go for it, your family will love you for it.

I would have rather used fresh organic corn cut right off the cob but I just didn’t have any and I typically have a bag of frozen organic corn in the freezer.

Creamed Corn

Makes 4 small portions, 2 large. Recipe taken from the wonderful Design Sponge. The recipe was by Design Sponge guest Harold Dieterle, winner of the first season of the Bravo show Top Chef.

1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 large clove garlic, sliced
1/4 c. sliced shallots, (I didn’t have, I used a t. onion powder)
16 oz. organic sweet corn, thawed in water and drained
1 pint heavy cream, about (I used a little less)
1 T. fresh chives, chopped (I didn’t have, didn’t use)

Heat up the oil in a medium pot. Add half the corn, garlic and onion and cook for a couple minutes. Add just enough heavy cream to cover corn while some is still showing through. Simmer for about 20 minutes until cream thickens. Pour into a blender and puree until smooth. If it’s too thick add more heavy cream till it’s thick but easily pourable. Pour back into pot and add remaining corn and simmer for another 10 minutes or so.

This entry was posted in Food, vegetarian, Whole foods and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted July 24, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

I love homemade creamed corn! It compares nothing to that of canned for sure! Yours looks so fabulous!

2. Posted July 25, 2010 at 4:40 am | Permalink

Jennifer – Thanks! You’re so very right, it’s the tops. My little Z was scrapping the bottom of the bowl.

3. Melanie
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

In SC, my grandmother barely shaves the kernels off the cob and then uses the back of her knife to scrape all the juice out. It gets messy, but doing the Rachel Ray (cutting it on an upside down small bowl set inside of a larger one) does the trick pretty well to catch all that natural juice. Then we just cook it up. No cream–and added fat–necessary! It’s AMAZINGLY sweet. You can even freeze it after cooking it to your preferred thickness. Oh, I almost forgot, we do use some fatback grease for flavor.

4. Posted July 25, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Melanie – Wowza! Sounds interesting and wonderful. I’ll be giving this a try for sure. Less fat and less processed foods, I like that for sure. Thanks!

5. Posted July 26, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

This is awesome! I live in Spain and it’s impossible to get canned cream corn there- now when I see it in a recipe I can just make my own. Thanks!

6. Posted July 27, 2010 at 5:39 am | Permalink

Johanna – First off, I’m very jealous of your worldly adventure of a life and yes now you can just make your own. I’ve been discovering lately that anything you love can be recreated in the kitchen and it typically comes out tasting much much better.

7. Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Made this soup for a side dish tonight. Sweet corn is starting to come in now. Great recipe all I did is add a little salt and pepper.
    Thanks

8. Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Dr. Chuckie – Glad you liked it! I love sweet corn, I can put it in just about anything including spaghetti.

9. Ingrid
    Posted July 29, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

mmmmmm. Cream corn is one of my favorite side dishes!

10. Posted July 30, 2010 at 5:17 am | Permalink

Ingrid – Me too!

11. John
    Posted May 9, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

That was quite good. I made it as an afternoon snack, but used garlic salt instead of garlic powder because it’s what I had…. bad idea. Way too salty, but it is a very good recipe nonetheless. Cheers!

12. Posted May 18, 2011 at 7:21 am | Permalink

John – I think we’ve all done that before, knowingly or on accident. The old garlic powder/salt switcheroo.