These were actually super easy and tasted great. I LOVE crepes, my favorite being savory so these cheesy veggie crepes were perfect. I ended up making a sweet version for little Z in case she wasn’t up for stinky cheese crepes first thing in the morning. She loved them and asked where I got the pita bread from? When J got home from yoga a few minutes after I snapped the photos she ate em up and loved em too. She of course loved the sweet ones best. Those I just used the same crepes and filled them with plain organic yogurt, fresh organic strawberries and a little powdered sugar inside and on top. These crepes took no time at all and were perfect whatever you decide to fill them with. Eat up!
FYI, I halved the recipe below and had like 6 medium crepes or could have made 4 large ones. If you go for the full recipe you will have lots of crepes. From what I’ve read you can store them in the fridge for several days or freeze them for up to 2 months.
Above is the sweet crepe version I made for little Z.
I halved the recipe below and there were like 6 medium crepes or super large. The full recipe would make a lot.
- Crepe Ingredients
- 6 oz. plain and whole wheat flour mix (about 2/3′s white unbleached and the other 1/3 whole wheat)
- 2 free range organic eggs
- 1 1/2 c. organic whole milk (cream top if you can swing it)
- a little oil for frying (spray bottle of olive oil)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 t. turbinado sugar, blended into a fine powder
- Filling Ingredients
- a little oil for baking veggies (spray bottle of olive oil)
- veggies of choice, tomatoes, broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, whatever but keep it simple
- 6 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 4 T. cream, (I used heavy cream, I’m sure any kind of cream will do, half and half etc.)
- 1 oz. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- pinch of sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place veggies in a baking dish lined with foil for easy clean up and spray with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss them in the oven for about 10 – 15 minutes.
Heat a skillet or griddle to high and spray with olive oil. Mix all ingredients for crepes together in a mixing bowl. Pour Crepe mixture onto skillet and kind of lift and turn/swirl pan to spread batter out into a thinner circle shape. Cook for a minute or two on each side. Remove and set aside.
Mix together cheeses, cream and egg in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
Lay out the crepes and spread equal parts of the cheese mixture over one side of the crepes leaving a little for the top of folded up crepe. Add roasted veggies and fold into a simple cone shape. Put remaining cheese mixture on top of each one and place them in a baking dish. Bake them in the oven at the same temp until cheese is all melted. Serve hot. I sprinkled a little dill on top.